SDEA Essentials of Teaching and Learning Approaches for Arts Educators - Early Childhood
Singapore Drama Educators Association (SDEA)’s inaugural early childhood drama pedagogy certification course - Essentials of Teaching and Learning Approaches for Arts Educators - Early Childhood aims to equip artists with key knowledge, skills and dispositions to work with children in the early years, primarily ages 4 to 6 years. This course offers a platform for artists to delve deeper into the foundation of their teaching beliefs and how that shape their practices that are aligned with the principles of teaching and learning in early childhood (arts) education.
With a strong emphasis on applied learning, this course provides artists with hands-on learning experiences - observing and applying the knowledge and skills learnt during the course in an early childhood context. In addition to building upon individual’s artform skills and knowledge, artists may explore working collectively to create interdisciplinary arts experiences with and/or for young children. SDEA is partnering with Presbyterian Community Services (PCS) to facilitate practicum sessions for course participants in three of their pre-schools.
- Key theories and principles of early childhood education;
- A range of evidence-based approaches to teaching and learning of the arts in the early years;
- Developing a greater awareness of their roles and responsibilities as early childhood arts practitioners;
- Key components and principles of lesson planning, and acquire skills to design developmentally and culturally-appropriate lessons for target groups;
- Effective engagement strategies to facilitate children’s learning in and through the arts.
- The certification from this course will satisfy the minimum pedagogical requirement for arts instructors to conduct NAC-AEP Arts Experience programmes in pre-schools.