The Building


1920: Completion of the building by the Japan Club as Japanese Elementary School 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo 1 Japanese students prepare for sports meet, 1939.

The Japanese Association Singapore Collection, courtesy of National Archives of Singapore

 


1931: Third storey extension added to the building 


1941: Many Japanese left Singapore due to the Sino-Japan War with only 3 tutors and several students left by 8 December 1941


1942: School re-opened as First National People’s School 


1947: Building used as temporary recreation centre for British soldiers called the Shackle Club


1947-1951: Gan Eng Seng School


1955-1984: Stamford Girls School

 

Photo 2 Stamford Girls School, 1982.

Courtesy of Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library, Singapore


1984-1986: Stamford Girls School combined with Waterloo Girls School to form co-ed Stamford Primary School


1988: Converted to Stamford Arts Centre under the former Ministry of Community Development's Arts Housing


1994: Stamford Arts Centre awarded conservation status 


2017: Commencement of redevelopment works of Stamford Arts Centre


2018: Completion of redevelopment works of Stamford Arts Centre


2019: Opening Celebrations at Stamford Arts Centre

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo 3 The newly renovated Stamford Arts Centre