Skip to main content
BannerImage

History of the Building

The Building


1920: Completion of the building by the Japan Club as the Japanese Elementary School

Photo 1 Japanese students prepare for a sports meet, 1939

Japanese students prepare for a sports meet, 1939.
Credits: The Japanese Association Singapore Collection, courtesy of National Archives of Singapore.


1942: School re-opened as First National People’s School


1947: Building used as temporary recreation centre for British soldiers called the Shackle Club


1947-1951: Gan Eng Seng School


1951-1984: Stamford Girls School

Photo 2 Stamford Girls School, 1982

Stamford Girls School, 1982.
Credits: National Library, Singapore, courtesy of Lee Kip Lin Collection.


1984-1986: Stamford Girls School combined with Waterloo Girls School to form co-ed Stamford Primary School


1988: Converted to Stamford Arts Centre under the former Ministry of Community Development's Arts Housing


1994: Stamford Arts Centre awarded conservation status


2017: Commencement of redevelopment works of Stamford Arts Centre


2018: Completion of redevelopment works of Stamford Arts Centre


2019: Opening Celebrations at Stamford Arts Centre

Photo 3 The newly renovated Stamford Arts Centre

The newly renovated Stamford Arts Centre
Credits: National Arts Council