Record Number of Arts Sponsors
2004 Patron of the Arts Award Presentation Ceremony
|Date||:||26 September 2004 (Sunday)|
|Venue||:||Esplanade Concert Hall|
|Guest-of-Honour||:||Dr Lee Boon Yang|
|Minister for Information,
Communications and the Arts
Sponsorship for the arts reached an unprecedented high in 2003 despite the challenges posed by an uncertain economy and SARS. A record 252 sponsors comprising 198 corporations/organisations and 54 individuals rallied behind the arts community, contributing $77.7 million, the highest ever, in cash and kind.
At the presentation ceremony, Dr Lee Boon Yang, Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, will confer on arts sponsors the following awards:
- 15 Distinguished Patron of the Arts Award
- 7 Patron of the Arts Award
- 38 Friend of the Arts Award
- 35 Associate of the Arts Award
- 157 Arts Supporter Award
Mr Lee Suan Hiang, Chief Executive Officer of the National Arts Council remarked "We are very pleased that more partners have come onboard to support the arts. The private sector is an important component in the arts ecosystem. It is a significant contributor to overall funding for the arts, where it plays an important role alongside government funding and community support. Arts sponsorships go beyond providing opportunities for companies to raise their corporate profiles and market their products, they are mutually beneficial partnerships between arts and business that could help add new value to the development of arts in Singapore. As the economy recovers, I hope that more sponsors will join us in developing Singapore into a distinctive global city for the arts."
The 2004 Patron of the Arts Award recognises contributions received from 1 January to 31 December 2003. There are 98 first-time recipients across all five categories of award and highlights of each category are as follows:
- Distinguished Patron of the Arts Award -- One of the most notable examples of arts sponsorship in 2003 was the $25 million donation by the Yong Loo Lin Trust to the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, National University of Singapore in August 2003. In kind sponsorship was also boosted by the donation of art works to the Singapore Art Museum. The family of the late pioneer artist Liu Kang contributed more than 1,000 oil paintings, pastel works, charcoal drawings and sketch books. The third new recipient of the Award is art collector Kwee Swie Teng who started Art Retreat, a private art museum open to the public with free admission. These three new recipients join the ranks of 12 other long-standing Distinguished Patrons such as Lee Foundation, MediaCorp Pte Ltd, DBS Bank, MobileOne, Singapore Airlines Limited, The Shaw Foundation, TIME Magazine, Raffles Holdings Limited, OCBC Bank, Singapore Press Holdings Limited, NTUC Income Insurance Cooperative Limited and Shell Companies in Singapore.
- Patron of the Arts Award
There are seven recipients under the Patron category. One new recipient architect and art collector Koh Seow Chuan donated cash and art works to the Singapore Art Museum. Other recipients include Cultural Medallion winner Lim Tze Peng who donated his own works to the museum and HSBC for its Youth Excellence Initiative.
- Friend of the Arts Award -- 38 corporations and individuals will receive the Friend of the Arts Award, the highest since the award was established in 1993. Among the six new recipients are Eu Yan Sang International Ltd which supported the Singapore Repertory Theatre's musical Forbidden City: Portrait of the Empress; Sonata Rainbow Dancewear Pte Ltd, which contributed costumes to dance companies and assisted in the setting up of the information and resource centre for I Dance Central; and Singapore Technologies Telemedia which contributed to the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, National University of Singapore. The other new recipients are Yuji Inoyama, M.A.C. and Geneva Master Time/Patek Philippe.
- Associate of the Arts Award -- There are 35 recipients under the Associate category of which 11 are new. They include Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd which contributed cash and equipment to the ClickArt-World Photojournalists Meet 2003; Vertu Pte Ltd which contributed to the Singapore Repertory Theatre; and Alcatel Singapore Pte Ltd which is a sponsor of The Esplanade.
- Arts Supporter Award -- 157 individuals and corporations will receive the Arts Supporter Award, the highest since the award was inaugurated in 2000.
We invite you to the presentation ceremony on 26 September 2004 and would appreciate your coverage.
Kindly RSVP to:
|Corporate Communications Manager|
using the attached form in Annex 4 by 23 September 2004.
For more information, please refer to the attached:
- Annex 1 - List of 2004 Award recipients
- Annex 2 - Information on Patron of the Arts Award
- Annex 3 - Programme for Award Presentation Ceremony
- Annex 4 - Media Reply Slip
For media enqueries, please contact:
|Ms Angela Lau|
|Corporate Communications Manager|
|Mr Ho Hwei An|
|Assistant Director, Corporate Communications|