ARTS X TECH LAB 2021
Arts x Tech Lab 2021
1. WHAT IS THE LAB ABOUT?
The Arts x Tech Lab 2021 is the National Arts Council (NAC)’s inaugural innovation lab that will foster collaboration between the arts and technology sectors.
The Lab has been designed to empower creatives, artists and technologists to engage in innovative experiments and collaborations. In addition, it aims to build capabilities, co-drive innovation and support changemakers from within the arts and technology sectors.
Together with Technology Partner Keio-NUS CUTE Center, the Lab is led by NAC-commissioned project management team in the wild and Mok Cui Yin.
2. WHAT IS THE LAB’S FOCUS?
The Lab focuses on supporting arts-technology ideas and proposals across two tracks. The Lab's participants have addressed one of following six challenge statements.
Track 1 – Open
- With the current pandemic forcing artists to think about delivering arts to audiences, how will technology help you reimagine your practice and find new ways to reach audiences both in live and virtual settings?
- What creative solutions can art and technology offer to connect people from different generations, cultures, abilities or languages?
- What is the art/performance space of the future? How can this be integrated to enhance or re-imagine the experience of a space, or even a city?
Track 2 – National Museum of Singapore
- How can new digital media and technology be employed to blend artistic experiences and heritage?
- How can technology offer audiences and visitors new perspectives in experiencing the National Collection? Click this link for access to the collection: https://www.roots.gov.sg/filter/collectionresearch?collection=National%20Museum%20of%20Singapore
- How can technology and the arts enhance museum-based learning and discussions?
3. HOW DOES THE LAB WORK AND WHAT ARE THE EXPECTED DELIVERABLES FOR PARTICIPANTS?
Through and Open Call conducted in early 2021, 10 final participants have been selected to undergo the eight-month lab, scheduled from June 2021 across two phases, and culminating in industry sharing planned for January 2022 (final date to be confirmed).
Each phase will be shaped according to the level of readiness of the participants and customised with consideration towards the participants’ proposals. Consultation, feedback and guidance will be offered to all participants as needed. Between each phase, participants will share the progress of their ideas at a mid-point sharing and receive feedback from the same expert panel. In the second phase, participants will develop a prototype, proof of concept, work-in-progress experience or minimum viable product, which will be shared as part of an industry sharing. Funding support will be provided in each phase as well. Please refer to the Open Call Guidelines for more details.
Throughout the Lab, group activities will be conducted where experts introduce critical topics and themes to support the participants’ learning and knowledge-building. Regular check-ins and progress updates, report submissions and documentation will be required for all participants as part of their involvement in the Lab.
4. WHAT DOES THE LAB OFFER PARTICIPANTS?
The Lab offers the following to all participants:
- Consultation on your project proposal
- Networking opportunities with potential collaborators
- Workshops by experts in topics such as production development, tools for art creation, accessibility and inclusivity, and user experience.
- Peer learning opportunities to learn from like-minded artists and technologists
- Feedback from an expert arts and technology panel
- Access to external resources and technologies
- Funding support
5. PARTICIPANTS OF THE ARTS X TECH LAB 2021
Applications are now closed, and the following are the 10 successful participants of the Arts x Tech Lab 2021.
1. Architects of Realities
2. Bao Songyu
3. Chinese Opera Centre
4. Christian Teo
5. In Tempo Silico
6. Justin Loke
7. Making do and getting by
8. Spang & Lei
9. T.H.E Dance Company
10. Tusitala Books
While applications have closed, do look out for upcoming public activites that will be open for the public and interested parties to attend. More details to come!
6. JOIN THE COMMUNITY!
We have started an Arts x Tech community of like-mind practitioners who are interested to discuss, learn, share and explore the possibilities of arts and technology.
Join the online Slack community through the following link:
7. UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
More details of upcoming public activities will be shared soon. Thank you for your patience, and in the meantime, do join the Arts x Tech Lab Slack Community!
8. CONTACT DETAILS
If you have any questions, please contact: